Nadal Honored With the Prince of Asturias Award

The Prince of Asturias Award is an annual award given to Spanish individuals who have made notable achievements in various fields. One of these is sports, in which Rafael Nadal has undoubtedly made his mark in lawn tennis.

Rafael Nadal is the Number one tennis player in the world and is considered the best Spanish player of all time. This season, the four-time winner of the French Open, also won the men's singles title at Wimbledon and was the gold medalist at the Beijing Olympic Games. Committed to the noblest values of sport on and off the court, his sense of social responsibility led him to establish a foundation focusing on social work among disadvantaged groups and cooperation for development.

It is apparent how the Jury of the Prince of Asturias Awards selected to give Rafael Nadal the award, given how Nadal had become an icon and a role model for his country.

And what does Rafa have to say? From his official site:

It’s an incredible honour for me to receive the ‘Principe de Asturias Sport Award’. I’m extremely grateful to the jury and everyone else who chose me as it’s an achievement greater than usual, it makes me feel proud.

Not only does this represent great sport values but also, and most importantly, good human values. This award is one of the best things that could happen to me outside of the tennis court because it says to me I’m doing this right when it comes to human values.

I always try to do the right thing inside and outside of the tennis courts no matter what. This award represents something different to a sports award and the fact that it’s been given to me means it’s not only thanks to my hard work but also because of those around me, specially my family.

To be given an award like this in what has been a very special year for Spain’s sport makes it even that much more special.

All nominees are of an extremely high level and the simple fact that I was considered amongst this group of people is satisfactory enough, even if I had not won the award.

0 comments: