Roger's Federer 14th Grand Slam As Nadal Stops His French Open Winning Streak

We can honestly say that Roger Federer is the man!

Despite losing the World's no. 1 title to Rafa, and losing a couple more time after that, Federer got back up to his feet and conquered the lawn tennis world again. He laid low for a short while as he and his longtime girlfriend-fiance finally got married last April. But he has finally marked a new beginning as he wins his 14th major Grand Slam title - the French Open!

It used to be that it was Rafael Nadal who wins in the French Open. He lost out in the fourth round, though, to Sweden Robin Soderling, and is currently spending some sweet time off with his girlfriend. It's also healing time for his knee injury, so he's taking it easy. I'm sure he'll come back with a vengeance once he's okay. Then there might be another epic battle between the longtime rivals.

"I knew the day Rafa won't be in the finals, I will be there, and I will win. I always knew that, and I believed in it. That's exactly what happened," Federer said. "It's funny. I didn't hope for it. But I believed in it."

Throughout the match, Federer remained his cool. Even when a crazy fan came dangerously close to him came onto the court, the Swiss player played calmly and went on for the win against Soderling - 6-1, 7-6 (1), 6-4.

"Every time I played Roger, after the match, I always said, 'I played so bad today.' Now I learned that it's not that I played bad," Soderling said. "He makes me play bad."

Soderling didn't play all that bad. He had surprised tennis fans after he swept off Nadal, No. 10 Nikolay Davydenko, No. 12 Fernando Gonzalez and No. 14 David Ferrer. If he'll beat out Andy Murray, too, then I will keep tabs on this guy.

0 comments: